[Clipart] I need some advice RE: Cards (Hearts Spades Diamonds, Clubs)

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Sun May 3 23:59:12 PDT 2009

On 05/01/2009 03:25 AM, chovynz wrote:
> Hi all
>
> There are quite a number of Card game cards in OCAL.
> The proper word for these are Hearts, Clubs, Spades, Diamonds respectively.
> BUT, this breaks our policy on having singular tags.
> Should I change the "diamonds" to "diamond"?
> I does work but it might not be intuitive for someone searching for
> cards, or diamonds, for example.
>
> Compare
> Singular : http://openclipart.org/media/files/momoko/10975
> Plural: http://openclipart.org/media/files/momoko/10978
>
> The question arises because "Diamonds" to me means the card type
> (singular), or the full set of "Diamonds" (singular), or many 20carat
> diamonds (plural); whereas "diamond" to me means the shape, or a 20carat
> gem (singular).

I also can't think about a playing card when seeing the (singular) word
"diamond". Don't think the singular (club, diamond, heart, spade) is a
descriptive tag for a playing card image. This is what I didn't use the
suits as tags for my own cards.

> In the same way "Cards" can mean a pack of playing cards (singular), or
> many playing cards (plural), or thick papers, Yet "card" can also
> include things that are NOT playing cards. (e.g. a get well card
> clipart, table placement card, referee penalty card, ticket, etc)

I am also unsure about this case, but I think the best way to solve it
is to think what an user will search the website for, "playing card" or
"playing cards"? (I think is the later).

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/