[Clipart] BETA OCAL Help Out page changes + navigation ideas

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri May 15 01:44:09 PDT 2009

No forums. forums are the death of many a community...we are doing
well keeping on this and no reason to break it. I can rant onwards
about why forums are not good, but I will just say, trust me.

Better to keep communications together now on this list rather than
break apart into a lot of pieces on a forum.

Jon

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Greg Bulmash
<oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron Bowler wrote:
>> Do you think "Volunteer" is a bit hash -- "Help Us" and a roll over of
>> "Would you like to help the site?" would be a little less formal.
>
> For the sake of usability, you don't want to mix the meanings of "Help".
>
> Adrian's suggestion of "Get Involved" is a better substitute for
> "Volunteer," though Oleg made a good point that "Volunteer" keeps a
> consistency of one-word labels.  If you're going to get away from
> one-word-labels, "Join The Team" would work as well.
>
>> p.s Would it ever be possible to have a forum installed on the site? --
>> phpbb is free -- and it keeps everything together, and would be much
>> easier for newbies like me. I've no experiance in using wikis and this
>> email service, i think i've missed a lot going into my junk mail :-(
>
> My main experience with PHPBB has been as an attack vector through which
> friends' servers/sites were hacked.  Adding PHPBB means someone has to
> not only install it, but be in charge of keeping it updated and patched
> as security holes emerge.  As those holes emerge, hackbots start probing
> the net for them.  You can be hacked faster than you think.
>
> Nothing personal, but considering PHPBB's history combined with the fact
> that whomever volunteers to install and patch PHPBB now might be too
> busy to keep up with it a few months from now, I think installing PHPBB
> is too risky.
>
> Once again, have to agree with Adrian here.  Letting an outside service
> provider administer a web interface to the list is a better option.
>
> - Greg

http://rejon.org/
+1.415.830.3884 (sf/global)
+86 132-6817-8381 (china)