[Clipart] Some thoughts about OCAL design

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Fri May 15 13:32:43 PDT 2009

Hi all,

A while back I promised Michael my help if needed for the
implementation of the new design

We got in touch this week and I promised to work on images for the
sign up banner on the news page;

For me this is completely new to work in this way, being part of a
bigger already existing whole, and trying to find out what angle is
the best way of approaching it
But that’s a nice challenge!

It will take me a while to come up with nice stuff, though, because I
feel will have to get acquinted with the look and culture of the project

For now, I thought it would be smart to have a little spot on the wiki
with some guidelines for designers: fonts, colors, etc.

I e-mailed Andy to ask if he could have a look at it, because I do not
know for example the font used in the mock up

http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/New_version_development#Style_Guidelines_for_Designers

But this could also have some clarifying bits on the visual language,
like:
What do the oranges mean?
:-)

These are some easy ways to maintain consistency.

And with regards to Olegs download icon:
I think it is great.

I feel though it could maybe use some thin outlines around the wood,
in a tone that is slightly lighter or darker than the wood itself:
that could help add depth.
I see there are larger white outlines now, but they help define the
contours, the form, not so much the depth.

Regarding the other thread, I couldn’t read through everything but I
do really like the focus on usability!

Take care,

Eric

Op 15 mei 2009, om 20:22 heeft Jon Phillips het volgende geschreven: