[Clipart] BETA OCAL: Current ocal usage vs BETA Ocal usage. Big differences?

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Thu May 21 08:19:29 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 5:35 PM, chovynz wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM, John Olsen
> <johnny_automatic at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Seems to me that making it impossible to upload more than one svg
> per page would be better than a "rule".  People love to break
> rules.  If the system doesn't let you upload more than one SVG per
> page then the problem (as you see it ) is solved.  This could be
> combined with a file checker  so that we don't get people uploading
> jpegs of their dog and such.  Just bounce those back and say "sorry,
> not the right file type"
>
> This is true, and one possible solution.  How does that work with
> Zip files though? If we stop multiple downloads, we stop zipped/
> collections altogether.
>
> Still I'm not sold on SETS as the answer to something like Gerald
> G's many files where he uploaded a color and black and white
> version.   The few places where i have done group uploads like
> National Park map symbols, I could make a set.  I just think that
> makes perfect sense to being all on one page forever.  But if the
> single file per page is what's going to make galleries work then so
> be it.
>
> Again how about Zip files on offer in the downloads section? I don't
> have a solution to the clipart collections yet. SETS fill in the gap
> until we find a better way.
>
> Sort of related issue: I want to see a feature that allows users to
> download marked or tagged clipart. For example if someone wants to
> download all cliparts with the tag "fruit" then they click on the
> download button and the OCAL website makes a zip file for all those.
> Or if Gerald's cipart is in a set we can download all the cliparts
> in that set (Theoretically named "Gerald's Hotel Icons") then the
> original uploader doesn't need to upload them into that one entry.

Are ZIP file submissions going to happen?  Have we determined that ZIP
sets are going to be unpacked and handled correctly?  Is the system
going to take 30 files and create 30 pages and generate 30 PNG
images?  If I wanted to attack the site what would prevent me from
uploading gobs of ZIP files with all sorts of crap in them?  And I
assume that it will pull the Metadata from the SVG files.  But how
many people have good metadata in their files?  I have almost none and
imagine most have no tags and similar metadata.  I know some,
especially Nicu, want this very badly.  I know he would format the
files correctly and it would be a great time saver.  But it seems like
an advanced option.  Mass uploads carry with them the possibility for
massive mistakes.  Maybe if the ZIP upload was on a special advanced
upload screen with some warnings.  At least have a chance of slowing
down the bots.

> As far as I know the SETS are working as intended. I meant
> "experimental" as in, we don't really know how to use them in the
> best way yet. We haven't used this feature before on the current
> OCAL. No, they weren't handcoded.

Oh, I figured this out and I wonder if the sets options are worded
correctly - it is not intuitive to me that selecting EDIT next to the
Add to <User's> Favorites is the way to create new sets.  I would
change it to say Create a new set and if necessary have the user's
favorites already be default set option below,  but the combining of
the two on the same line is just bad layout IMHO.  In fact the
favorites is confusing because there is another button that is called
Favorites.  So which is which?

John Olsen