[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 62, Issue 25

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Fri May 22 17:37:19 PDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 5:23 PM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 12:23:35 +1200
> From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Clipart] BETA OCAL: External sources/trackbacks visual
> 	concept and	ideas
> To: "clipart at lists.freedesktop.org" <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>,
> 	Michael Krnac <michaelkrnac at googlemail.com>,	Victor
> 	<fourstones.net at gmail.com>
>
> Hi all
>
> For the Beta site, I have an idea for using trackbacks as a more
> comprehensive "External Sources."
> Please refer to the attached visual concept and continue reading.
>
> Idea Summary: Use Trackbacks as an External Sources form/data/
> information.
>

> Suggested procedure for external sourced clipart: Upload the clipart
> as a
> normal one, via the Upload page. After it's uploaded, use the
> Trackback/External Sources Javascript found underneath the clipart
> in the
> gallery view, to generate the external sources info.

Who are these people who currently do not add links or info on where
their art came from, that will do so with the proposed system?  Take
my workflow.  I often go to Archive.org, find a suitable PDF of a book
with good images.  Then I use photoshop and Illustrator to make SVG
files of the original art from the books.  Sometimes its months before
I get to the book, but when I do I have the PDF and can glean the
title,author etc. from there.  But this is effort on my end.  If
someone isn't keeping track of this then there is no way to deduce
where these submissions come from.  I may be missing something here,
but it seems that this is just an elaborate replacement for those of
us already doing it.  For me, finding the actual link in Archive.org
is a lot harder than just putting the original publishing info that
proves it's PD into the submission data.  Now for the recent clipart I
just uploaded I could put the website for the coloring book it came
from, and I did.  Is the whole point of this just to save one copy and
paste action?

John Olsen