[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 62, Issue 25

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:39:04 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM, John Olsen <johnny_automatic at mac.com>wrote:

> On May 22, 2009, at 7:36 PM, chovynz wrote:
>

>  My question is, What is the point of having an externalsource tag without
>> the location? If you really want, I can provide numerous examples from the
>> current OCAL site. People use the External Source Submit form without
>> thinking, or without filling it in with the external source material.
>>

> The purpose for me of external source is to say that the art is not of the
> submitter's making and what we really need is some statement that the
> submitter KNOWS that the image they are submitting is in the PD.   So we
> either want a link to a site that itself says it is in the PD or what I
> often do, post the publication date which is clearly in the PD range or
> state the it is say US government creation and by law is public domain.  A
> creator can put their own creations into the PD, but of course just finding
> something out on the web doesn't give one the right to declare it PD>

Correct. I Agree 100%. "Something was on the internet" does not make it PD
or free. My Dad and I have had extensive disagreements about this. Just
because some clipart is on the internet doesn't make it free to use. OCAL
stuff generally is.

> So we already have that whole column of trackbacks when you select the
> options button on the Beta site.  Would this be an additional column in a
> similar style?  That one lists options of where you used the clipart -
> website, blog, podcast,  or album  (once again showing the music basis of
> ccHost).

It is using those links. We can either rename them to suit OCAL terminology
or make our own. My point is the trackbacks already work; lets use them. All
we need to do now is collate these trackbacks into one page, so that
everyone can see where the trackbacks are. With PHP includes, this shouldn't
be a difficult thing to achieve.

I want to see:

If people use the trackbacks,
1) Externalsource tag is added to the tracked clipart.
2) The location is added to the Clipart details, with a nice word link
3) There is a collated page of all the trackbacks from that clipart, that
links back to the Clipart details page

I reiterate: you can use this idea not just for external sourced clipart,
but ALSO for where you see clipart being used.
E.g
a) You (John) gets a clipart from Wikipedia Commons. You upload it to OCAL.
You use the trackback for the locations details. It's marked as
externalsource.
b) I see a website design or Hallmark e-card that uses Sam's clipart. I make
a trackback to show the location, it's marked as externalsource.

(Stating all that, I've just seen a flaw in my idea...the externalsource tag
isn't relevant to *where *a clipart is used. I think that's what you were
saying above, John? I still think using the trackback for these things are a
valid use for them, but maybe we could apply a different tag to where a
clipart is used.)

externalsource = clipart that originally came from "location" ?
used_external = clipart that is used at "location" ?

--
Cheers
Chovynz