[Clipart] Piracy Impact Estimates Debunked

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 08:05:40 PDT 2010

While few, if any, people on this list advocate piracy, I'm sure we've
all grumbled about the questionable numbers put out by associations
like the BSA that then get quoted as gospel by lazy members of the
press. Well, as an unintended consequence of PRO-IP, the GAO looked
into the methodologies and underlying data of the more quoted surveys
that generate those numbers and found them to be mostly smoke and
mirrors.

Ars Technica did an interesting summary of the GAO report...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/us-government-finally-admits-most-piracy-estimates-are-bogus.ars