[Clipart] Logo should be removed.

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:46:39 PDT 2010

My mistake then. I thought you were offended by having the symbol as a
part of the clipart/logo available as a Public Domain clipart on OCAL,
based on a practising Odinist viewpoint.

I don't know how they are going to deal with the winner of this contest,
as any company that uses the winner, as far as I know, can't copyright
the winners logo.
I still don't see any grounds for removal of any of the submitted logos,
let alone one that has deep meaning to a certain group of people and
could be mistaken / misused. To use the swastika idea again, that is now
recognised as the symbol for Nazi Germany under Hitler. The swastika
originally wasn't used as that, but that's what it is recognised as now.
If someone makes a FCRC logo with a swastika, it is still a valid logo
entry, and one that cannot be removed from OCAL. Same thing with the
"cross" - if someone were to make a FCRC logo with the cross as a part
of it, it's still a valid logo entry - despite being "misused" from a
Christian perspective and offensive to some.

I can't consider removing the clipart because:

    * As far as a OCAL Librarian is concerned, it's valid clipart.
      Religious grounds is not a valid reason for clipart removal. Only
      copyright infringement and trademark issues is, and this does neither.
    * I'm not a judge in the contest, I have no say for what's valid in
      the contest, I can only "judge" what is valid as Public Domain for
      OCAL. I think you are asking the wrong people for the removal of
      this clipart for contest consideration. OCAL Members, Librarians
      (and admins) have no say in what's to be considered - only the
      judges of the contest.
    * I don't know how they are going to trademark/copyright the winning
      clipart of the contest, because all of the cliparts were submitted
      under public domain. I think that was an oversight that wasn't
      properly thought through from the beginning - unless they propose
      to continue using it as Public Domain for their company logo.

In all senses of the word, I find this clipart to be valid Public Domain
Clipart. Anything else is, not for me to say. I understand your request,
but it is still not for me to say, beyond my capabilities as an Open
Clipart Librarian.

Is my point making more sense? You can only try to convince the uploader
to remove it, and the judges to not judge it - based on your criteria.
OCAL won't remove it from their Library, and it would be wrong for a
Librarian to remove the contest status, since the logo was designed and
uploaded specifically for that purpose.

Cheers
Chovynz