[Clipart] Possible copyright infringement

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 11:42:15 PDT 2010

First, if the images are public domain, they cannot restrict their use
by competing ventures. Therefore, if the images are owned/created by
them, that restriction makes their claim of "public domain" false.

If the images are not created by them and are in the public domain,
then all they have is a sui generis copyright on the selection of
clipart, and using a couple of images won't violate it, but
duplicating their collection to a high enough degree (assuming OCAL
didn't get all/most of the PD artworks from other sources) would.

Then again, I learned a very HARD lesson about accepting the public
domain assurances of random clipart sites. Still litigating that one.

So basically, either they're putting a restriction on the image they
have no right to put on it or they're not really putting it in the
public domain. Either way, it's tainted.