[Clipart] Fwd: Re: Librarians be aware of http://www.freeclipartnow.com

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:14:31 PDT 2010

Forwarded from Jarod.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Clipart] Librarians be aware of
http://www.freeclipartnow.com
Date: 	Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:49:52 +0900
From: 	Jarod Russel <JarodR at gmx.de>
To: 	chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>

Wow very long but I worked myself through it ;)

I understand that you have to make a difference between being a user and
a librarian for OCAL. Still some things I think you should consider
about the specific issue with freeclipartnow. The matter is that most
images are probably not in any way owned by the site owner. Why is that
highly likely? Cause he uses tiny jpgs and duplicats uploaded to OCAL
are vector based svgs. Its not always possible to vectorize an image
that small and get a good quality out of it. Like the blue bass guitar I
mentioned. Btw. here are the links for you to check it out. You can also
contact the uploader AJ

OCAL link http://www.openclipart.org/detail/17921
freeclipartnow version
http://www.freeclipartnow.com/music/instruments/guitars/electric-guitar.jpg.html

I agree that cliparts from freeclipartnow are in many cases not
trustworthy, cause as you have mentioned they use stuff from disney and
so on. Thats why I said before you have to look at the clipart itself
and check if it is truly public domain or not. Just because it appears
on freeclipartnow doesn't necessarily mean it is not public domain. So
you can't simply take an uploaded clipart to OCAL and say "hey thats on
freeclipartnow I hide it". The uploader could still be the person who
made the image. Or freeclipartnow copied it from another website as well
(things he refuses other sites).

I am an OCAL user cause I trust that most cliparts are truly PD. If I
find out its not so I will speak up, like I did in the past. Thats why I
use OCAL and not other sites.

On the end I have to agree with you in the matter that you have to do
what you think is right or necessary for the survival of OCAL. I need it :D