[Clipart] Librarians be aware of http://www.freeclipartnow.com

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Jun 21 11:15:41 PDT 2010

Jarod Russel <JarodR at gmx.de> writes:

> If their cliparts are pd than their "Few Exceptions" do not matter,

While that makes good sense to me, my confidence in the legal system's
ability to always coincide with good sense would leave me hesitant to
stand by such a position in the event that legal action were even so
much as threatened (let alone actually undertaken).

It's the second clause in particular that seems worrisome.  That
sounds particularly aimed at preventing other clip-art collections
from including their images.  If they were to notice that we'd done so
and send a Cease and Desist order, my cowardly self-preservation
instinct would tend to make me want to back down and remove them.  And
if there's a real risk of that, do we really want to put ourselves,
and our downstream distributers, in that kind of position?

IANAL, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.  Best not to trifle with
such things.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library