[Clipart] Fwd: misuse of one of our images

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Jun 23 10:46:22 PDT 2010

chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com> writes:

> 2) OCAL's version states it came from
> http://radicalgraphics.org/collection/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Resistance&id=Resist02

We had one from there submitted before, looked into the matter, and
were unable to find on that site any indication that the images are in
the public domain.

> 3) Can Ron and Joe provide proof the original is theirs?

I don't think that's necessary.  They're not asking for damages, just
that we stop distributing the image.  I think we need to do that
anyway, regardless of whether it's actually theirs or not, on the
grounds that we already know it was taken from a non-pd source
(radicalgraphics.com).  If radicalgraphics *claimed* that their images
were PD, it *might* be worth investigating the matter further, but
they don't claim that.  The phrase "public domain" doesn't even occur
on their site.  Basically, we have no reason to believe this image is
public domain.  If it doesn't belong to Ron and Joe, it probably
belongs to someone else.  Either way, we shouldn't be distributing it.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library