[Clipart] made a first start on an OCAL Admin manual

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:57:19 PDT 2010

@ Jon & Bassel: I decided it would be better to let everyone know now,
so that we have more eyes on the project, and more awareness of what's
happening and what needs doing.

To everyone ; welcome to the first steps in enabling anyone to be able
to join in on being a Librarian, to make methods of clipart management
that work or are easily changeable, and easily understandable
instructions for all users to accomplish various tasks.

Right now, what I'm doing is looking at how OCAL is created using the
AIKI framework
<http://www.aikiframework.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Documentation>.
What is AIKI you ask? It makes the Library into a database driven
"moddable" website, using PHP, MySql(?) and a database. I admit, I don't
know much SQL language, but I'm finding the commands and things that are
making up the site very interesting. Please understand that I am not a
programmer, I'm an artist, a visual person, but I have seen what AIKI
can do, and I'm very excited by it.

What I need from you guys is Use Cases for how you use OCAL.
What have we got? What do we need?
What should the completed website look like?

    * As an end user, how do you use OCAL? Please write and tell us your
      methods.
    * As an Artist, what do you need for uploading your work? Or
      self-promotion? How do you manage your own clipart on OCAL?
    * As a Librarian how do you go about your work? What tools do you
      need? Even if they are obvious tools, break it down for us. I
      already have a fair idea, but I'm not the be-all and end-all, and
      I certainly don't have the only way of doing Librarian work. Are
      there better ways we can do things? Are there things that we can
      do, which we aren't doing yet?
    * Give us pictures of what you would like your interface to look
      like, and why you want them there. The more submissions we get,
      the better idea of what we can make OCAL to be.  I'm thinking of
      many visuals. I'm not a fan of textual toggles, but we currently
      have them and they work. How can we make them better?

Please don't concern yourself with how things were done in the past, or
what's missing from then, but look towards what we can do now. Most of
the bugs from the Bugtracker days are irrelevant, and we need new
bug-finding.

Have a look at
http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/Documenting_OCAL_development
<http://www.openclipart.org/wiki/Documenting_OCAL_development>to better
understand what I'm doing.
Join in if you can. We now have the opportunity to get some of these
issues sorted out. It may take awhile, it might take 8 or 9 months to
get to a reasonably finished OCAL. Hopefully it'll be quicker, however,
we are making some progress. One step at a time. Join in!

Cheers
Chovynz