[Clipart] made a first start on an OCAL Admin manual

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 01:38:32 PDT 2010

On 24/06/2010 6:17 p.m., Jon Phillips wrote:
>> The second scenario is to fit the box inside the website page container (as
>> you see in the picture.) This would stay relative to the page itself, so it
>> would be possible to scroll down and not see the warning box. However we can
>> then place a "NonPD" Icon next to the download button, so that it is clearly
>> seen when you come to download.
>>
>> A smaller version of the NonPD icon could appear on the gallery list, if the
>> clipart in question has one of the above tags.
>>
>> What do you guys think about this?
>>
> Cool. But ideally, we don't want these to show to anyone publicly.
> This could be internal more...I'm more interested in a whole list view
> of the problematic images and having a way to click, "Hi Author, if
> you don't respond in 24 hours, then this file is automatically going
> to be deleted as a violated clipart. Its now hidden, tomorrow
> deleted."

Why don't we want to show them publically? Wouldn't that boost the
confidence in the others, or at the very least warn end users to not use
this particular one? Out of 30,000 + cliparts only a few would be so
marked. But they would be visible. Currently there is no such indicator
other than people's comments, and even then things that should be
obvious, aren't. E.g. Sasuke from Naruto is a trademarked character, but
it was downloaded quite a few times. Now, if it had a NonPD indicator
that download amount *might *have been less.

That's the intent of the warning box anyway. I think it would be
possible to only show it to Librarians, but I really don't see the sense
in showing it to only select people, since a Librarian is really just
like anyone else, except we have a broom and flyspray. I think a warning
to the public is more valuable than an "Admin-eyes-only". Can you expand
your comments and thinking on this issue, and let us know further in depth?

As for your list view / deleting suggestion, that sounds good, however I
think there are different degrees of risk. I'm using

    * "pd_issue", "potential copyright violation" as the first step,
      where more investigation is needed or other CC licences ,these may
      or may not be on your list, depending on severity and type of the
      violation.
    * "copyright violation" for definite ones. These would be on your
      problematic list.

At the end of the day though, we are aiming for a clean library so, I
don't yet know. Your way might be better, but I just think letting end
users know the risk level on each clipart, while the clipart are under
investigation, is a good thing. Preferably I'd like to do that through
the website automatically, so that anonymous users can see the risk with
the clipart. Or maybe that can be a registered users benefit?