[Clipart] Public Domain certification blurb on Upload screen

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Jun 29 10:48:03 PDT 2010

Thomas Hicks <hicks.kingtom at googlemail.com> writes:

> "By submitting this artwork you certify:
>
> 1: That you are the sole owner of any copyrights to this work or that
> you know with certainty this work is not copyrighted or has had its
> copyright expire and it is without possibility of future copyright.
>
> 2: That this work contains no logos, images, or fonts that may be
> under separate copyright or trademark protection.
>
> 3: That you have dedicated any and all rights you have in this work to
> the public domain, meaning that it may be used by anyone at any time
> without limitation, and that you may not revoke or modify this
> dedication."

Hmmm...  I think I can golf it down a little...

By submitting this artwork, you certify...

 1. That nobody else except you has any copyright claim or trademark
    on it, nor on any character or logo it depicts.

 2. That you forever dedicate your own copyright to the public domain
    and allow anyone to use, change, and distribute this artwork any
    way they want, for any reason, without giving you credit.

Obviously having a more complete explanation somewhere on the site,
with a link from the upload page, would still be good.  But for the
wording on the upload page itself I think keeping it short is good.
In fact, if someone can shorten it even a little more (without making
it unclear), that might be even better.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library