[Clipart] Public Domain certification blurb on Upload screen

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Jun 29 13:16:01 PDT 2010

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Ok, better, but not short enough in my opinion. We don't want to scare
> people off, but reaffirm their decision to share :)

In principle, I agree with that.

But there *are* a couple of kinds of people we kind of *do* want to
warn off (well, alert to the issue), if possible: people who are
submitting copies they've made of popular but protected stuff, and
people who want to place restrictions on usage.

Yeah, I know, the librarians can hide such images as you encounter
them, and the user can always ignore any wording we put, but I still
think it's useful to have some wording to alert people to this issue.

But I agree it should be as brief as possible and sound more like a
casual heads-up than a formal legal document.

I will try to golf the wording down a little more, but ultimately I
think someone else may need to touch it up, because terseness and
informality aren't really my long suits.

>> Hmmm...  I think I can golf it down a little...
>>
>> By submitting this artwork, you certify...
>>
>>  1. That nobody else except you has any copyright claim or trademark
>>    on it, nor on any character or logo it depicts.
>>
>>  2. That you forever dedicate your own copyright to the public domain
>>    and allow anyone to use, change, and distribute this artwork any
>>    way they want, for any reason, without giving you credit.

Okay, another round of golf...

By submitting this artwork, you are saying...

1. That nobody else has a copyright or trademark on it.

   (For example, if you draw Mickey Mouse, Disney has a copyright,
   and we can't include it.  Sorry.)

2. That anyone can use this artwork any way they want, even without
   giving you credit.  It is public domain.

If someone can make it shorter or friendlier, without making it
unclear, by all means, have at it.

>> Obviously having a more complete explanation somewhere on the site,
>> with a link from the upload page, would still be good.

I assume we are all agreed on this point?

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library