[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 74, Issue 26

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Mon May 10 21:13:39 PDT 2010

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:52:04 +1200
>From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Clipart] Oodles of broken cliparts
>To: "J. Alves" <alvesjmp at gmail.com>, Bassel Safadi
>	<bassel.safadi at gmail.com>
>Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
>
>It's not necessarily a problem although I do see your point. (haha pun!)
>
>I think you'll find that when you look at the clipart IN detail (as in:
>after you download it and click on the picture from the detail page, so that
>you are only looking at the clipart itself), you will see that the browser
>renders it correctly.
>
>I used to be quite hard on authors who uploaded unconverted text, however
>I've had time to reflect, and in some cases it's actually useful to have
>unconverted text i.e. a calendar. So that issue isn't resolved for me.
>Yes/No could go either way, and I don't want to make it burdonsome for
>uploaders, or users.

While there are reasons to have unconverted text in cases where the graphic is a template or master to be edited by the downloader, it is incorrect to say that it is always fine.  If the person downloading the SVG doesn't have the font used, it isn't going to magically appear on their computer.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it defaults to a completely inappropriate font.

Unless it is a template we need to have fonts converted to outlines.

John Olsen