[Clipart] found this while surfing

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Mar 29 10:57:30 PDT 2011

> Our hide function only stops it from being searched for and displayed
> in results, but anyone with a bit of intelligence can find the direct
> links.

Okay, so the hide function maybe doesn't hide it well enough.

Perhaps only librarians and developers and the uploader should be able
to see that it ever existed at all and everyone else should get an error
page along the lines of "What image is it thou art talking about?
Perhaps thou shouldst try our marvelous search feature, which can surely
provide access to the myriad images in our wondrous collection..."

The same error page could be presented if the user tries to access an
image that has not in fact every been uploaded (e.g. by typing random
garbage where the image ID would go), like this:
http://www.openclipart.org/detail/blahblahblahblah-this-image-does-not-exist-942389845984

Currently there's not much explanation (just "error file not found").
Whether we should leave it terse like that or make it more verbose is a
separate question.

> To my mind that means we are still providing copyrighted material,
> which is not something I want OCAL to do.

I agree that OCAL should not be providing or distributing copyrighted
material to the public.

> Side-topic: I'd love to have all new clipart automatically marked as
> "unchecked" like before. But again, I don't know how to do so. If
> bassel or someone could walk me through I could do something.

The other option would be to have librarians mark new clipart as
"reviewed" whenever they clear it, but that's really only useful if
there's a way to search for clipart that *doesn't* have a certain tag.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library