[Clipart] Png's uploaded as svg's

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Mon May 9 13:27:57 PDT 2011

Please do. It will solve many unseen problems and help the work load of the
librarians as well as keep the library clean (in terms of having only
scalable clipart available.) I can point you to a number of specific
png/svg's if it helps your process.

If we accept png's in the future, we can re-address this issue then. For now
my opinion is to not accept png's (as svg's). Examples of how it was used is
a legitimate use of png, but those pictures should not be classed as clipart
I believe, and jpgs or pngs should not (at this stage) appear in the search
results. Png's disguised as svgs is not being honest or helpful to those
people who are searching for *Clipart*.

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Roan Horning <roan at horning.us> wrote:

> I looked into how bitmaps are embedded into svg files. I can write a filter
> that will check for this code, and we can apply it to files as they are
> uploaded. If found during upload, return an error message describing the
> issue, what openclipart.org policies are on embedded cliparts, and maybe a
> link to a page describing how to use inkscape and its tracing ability to
> convert bitmap to true svg.
>
> --Roan
>

> On 5/8/2011 8:04 PM, chovynz wrote:
>
> http://www.openclipart.org/search/?query=brandynne
> Most of brandynne's clipart are png's embedded into svg's.
> What do we do in these situations?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz