[Clipart] Sorting images in the open clipart library

Ian Lynch ianrlynch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 04:15:58 PDT 2012

On 10 September 2012 11:01, Jakub Jankiewicz <jcubic at onet.pl> wrote:
> We will have download all clipart from the site soon, the last one, I
> plan to have it back when we get the new site online.
>
> Metadata is stuff that it's in svg file and it's for the developers
> (it's the same info that is on every detail page), we just make it
> simply to use the collection, I can write the code that will sort them
> based on metadata, when we will put it into a file.
>
> and by using find, grep and sed on linux means that it will be very
> easy to create a tool that will do this. Maybe even some graphic
> search/browser for offline use.
>
> I can write something like this but maybe someone else will do it, it
> can have the same functions as a site, and when you double click it
> will open file in Inkscape.
>
> Sorting it by hand is a waste of times, we have computers to do this
> kind of things.

Well yes, if it gets done so it is in a form an ordinary end-user can
use for the specific task they need :-) I haven't found the titles on
images necessarily logical from a search point of view and to me
looking at them and deciding what to use is more than just an
automated process though I agree some automation helps. Depends, I
guess, on what a lot of individuals actually put in the meta data or
the title.

At this point in time I couldn't find a way to use what was on the
OpenClipart.org site in a way that fitted my needs for a particular
task and I don't have time to learn how to automate sorting based on
svg meta data when I'm not even sure it will work out as it depends on
exactly what is in the metadata.  Maybe I'm just unusual ;-)

What I'm looking at for Apache OpenOffice is to define a set of
gallery themes that could be used incrementally. eg just a few of the
best images for the main distribution in a standardised set of
galleries - maybe 50 - and then an extras set that could be entirely
on-line linked to openclipart.org or added to the galleries to suit
the user. That would enable the user to either add to the galleries
and work entirely off-line or the could link to on-line sources. These
are only initial considerations at the moment. Another possibility
would be to completely redesign the gallery part of AOO to integrate
seamlessly with the open clipart.org database but I think that is less
likely to happen at least in the immediate future.

 If OpenClipart.org has a list of standard classifications for
grouping images that will be searchable in the metadata then that
would be useful to know.

Thanks for the info.