[Clipart] Image only SVG files

J.M.P. Alves alvesjmp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 04:25:12 PST 2013

Indeed, that is bad. Differently from most people, I did read the
guidelines to artists pages in the old site, years ago, before submitting
anything (I was, I mean, am a newbie and didn't want to do it wrong). And
it used to be forbidden, in the site's Wiki and from what I understood from
discussions in the mail list, to use ANYTHING non-vector in a contribution,
regardless of what is or isn't in the SVG specification. I don't remember
the exact wording, but it was about openclipart.org not becoming yet
another site that stockpiles raster files, which aren't as well scalable
nor can be edited as well as SVG, etc. etc. as everyone here should know by
now. I mean, if one wants to use elements of one of those cliparts
terradeimos identified, one can't without some ugly kludges. And the result
will definitely be suboptimal by some criteria.

Did that policy change and I missed it? The Wiki seems to be gone (the link
http://openclipart.org/wiki/Guidelines at the Participate section redirects
to a blank page at http://openclipart.org/Guidelines), and the available
FAQ (and other) pages do not say anything either way, at least that I could
find in my quick perusal. Is it OK now to post raster, then? To basically
paste a photo in Inkscape and save as SVG?

Cheers