[Clipart] wording

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Thu Feb 7 22:10:54 PST 2013

Robert Martinez wrote:
> I'm not a native speaker so I have a question to everybody that is:
> We potentially spread words like "clip art", "clipart", "image", "vector
> image", "svg", ... when we talk about contributions to the Open Clip Art
> Library.
> Imho the right way would be use "clip art" everywhere and all the time.

Well, OCAL is not just a clipart library, there are two important spect
that define it:
- everything is freely licensed, with the most possible permissive license;
- all images are vector images, in the SVG format, this means for some
uses they won't work directly but have to be processed.

> But since "clip art" is not countable - how should one refer to a single
> contribution? And how to a group of contributions but not all?

I am neither a native speaker, but in my understanding the correct English
term would be "clip art image", where image/images are countable. We
simplify and shorten to "clipart" for convenience, but it not proper
English (an everyone understand what we mean anyway).