[Cogl] Cogl rendering to framebuffer on Raspberry Pi

Stephen J stephenjust at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 19:54:34 PST 2013

Hello again,

Neil: Thanks for the clarification. I ended up basing my work on the
Android winsys, as it was much simpler to deal with.

At this point, I have managed to get enough of cogl working to run the
cogl-hello example on the raspberry pi in full-screen with GPU acceleration
- without X or Wayland.
As well (and somewhat more exciting), I've managed to get several of the
"toys" from the clutter-project github repository to run. I haven't
bothered to check fps yet, but the animations in the clutter demos look
very smooth.

You can see my code so far here:
https://github.com/stephenjust/cogl/tree/cogl-1.18
I may have performed some operations in incorrect places within the egl-rpi
winsys, however I managed to get it running. Use the
--enable-rpi-egl-platform=yes with autogen.sh to enable the Raspberry Pi
winsys.

Due to some irregularities with how the Raspberry Pi's libraries are set
up, when you compile anything using the cogl raspberry pi functionality,
you need to add -L/op/vc/lib/ -lEGL -lGLESv2 to the linker command.

In order to get this to work, I had to use a few packages newer than what
is available in Raspbian Wheezy. I used cogl-1.18 and clutter-1.14.
cogl-1.14, which Raspbian Wheezy provides, does not work with these
modifications. (The clutter toys also need -lcogl-path to link because of
this being split out of the main cogl library.)

If you have any feedback regarding the code, things to try, etc, let me
know.

Thanks