[Cogl] Introspection round 2

Robert Bragg robert at sixbynine.org
Mon Nov 25 08:59:49 PST 2013

Thanks this looks good.

One thing we've discussed before that would be good to tweak is that
every CoglObject instance now has a GTypeInstance member but I think
this may be redundant. We already have a klass pointer that basically
serves the same purpose of pointing to a corresponding per-type class
description. Hopefully we can just cast the klass pointer to a
GTypeInstance where necessary.

Another thing is that it looks like the cogl_gtype_XYZ_get_type()
functions have been renamed to cogl_XYZ_get_gtype() instead. It could
be nice to avoid needing duplicates for these functions but I wonder
if we might break something if we change these function names? It the
gobject introspection scanner can't work with the cogl_gtype_
namespace then maybe we should see if we get away with this rename -
at least it doesn't look like clutter or gnome-shell refer to the
current names - and we can add the current names back later if it
turns out we break something?

Is it perhaps possible to avoid needing the COGL_GTYPE_DEFINE_CLASS
macro since it seems to be used wherever we use
COGL_OBJECT_DEFINE[_WITH_CODE] and takes the same arguments? Sorry
that this would reduce you're Ohloh points ;-)

Would you mind if we don't expose new gtype apis for deprecated Cogl
apis such as the CoglShader, CoglProgram and CoglVertexBuffer apis?

thanks a lot for looking at this,
Robert