[colord] RFQ: Adding a GTK+ dep to libcolord

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 3 02:40:58 PDT 2012

Hey all,

At LGM the biggest question I'm getting is "how do I get the display
profile for my application" and I wrote some sample code to do this.
To do it correctly it's almost 300 lines of complicated asynchronous
code with multiple exit points, and so I figured it should probably be
exposed in the libcolord library as a helper to make things easier.
This would allow you to pass in a mapped GtkWidget and get back a
connected CdProfile that properties (including the filename) which is
easy for the application to use.

This means adding a GTK dep to libcolord. Is this a good idea? I can
certainly add a --disable-gtk configure switch if that's required, or
even make a libcolord-gtk library, but I'm not sure I want all the
overhead unless it's required. The patch I'm thinking about is
attached, comments welcome. Everyone has GTK installed, right?

Richard.