[compiz] window decorations explained and how to move forward

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Apr 3 04:06:57 PDT 2006

> Window decorations and the things related to that is a large thing. The
> window decorator can do more than just decorations, e.g. taskbar, root
> window menu. Being able to move all this out of the compositing manager
> is really nice.

Ah OK, that makes sense I guess. So the idea is compiz can be merged
with existing desktops/WMs by dropping their own core X WM code and
putting the rest like root menus into a window decorator? Makes sense.

> Well, I think that gnome-window-decorator is currently doing better.
> There's no rush with having a new theme system as long as we allow
> programmatic themes like what we have in gnome-window-decorator today.

Sure, it's pretty, I was thinking of "better" in terms of new ideas. Do
people have any mockups of decorations that'd be hard to implement
without an SVG theme engine?

> No compression is currently used.

Is there any support in OpenGL for hardware accelerated RLE textures, or
something like that? If they use gradients at all most themes use
vertical gradients so I think simple RLE compression could help.