[compiz] Greetings, first remarks about trying to do customizable drop-shadows

Mirco Müller macslow at bangang.de
Mon Apr 3 10:01:52 PDT 2006

Am Montag, den 03.04.2006, 14:14 +0200 schrieb David Reveman:

> I assume that you want to put this code in compiz as a plugin. I suggest
> not doing that. I've implemented drop-shadows like that before and it's
> not a good solution. I strongly believe that drop shadows as part of the
> decorations is currently the best solution. Like gnome-window-decorator
> is doing but they should be made fully tweakable, of course.
>
> Read the section about drop-shadows in the following post, if you
> haven't already.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2006-April/000009.html

Ok read the stuff.

	Sure I'll did not intend to do a seperate on-the-fly
drop-shadow-drawing plugin. I'm currently going for tweakable static
drop-shadows for simple (read: rectangular) window shapes in g-w-d. I'm
well aware of the fact, that fully dynamic arbitrary shadows done by
convolutions executed on the GPU are a very costly luxury
(performance-wise), which also narrow down the possible target-audience
considerably. Aside from that I'm not that fluent in GLSL or
shader-assembly yet to code a gaussian-blur filter top-down in no time.
Still it's nice to know that it's technically possible... getting a
windows alpha-mask via XShape (according to tommie-lie) and a
fragment-shader for the blurring.

	So right now I want to have a single set of 9 small textures with the
different drop-shadow-parts that gets generated at start-time of compiz
(or whenever gnome-window-decorator initially runs its setup functions),
according to some tweakable parameters set via gconf by the user... or
maybe later by one of the recently emerging graphical
compiz-configuration-frontends.

I hope to be able to contiue/finish this by the coming weekend.

Best regards...

MacSlow

email - macslow at bangang.de
www - http://macslow.thepimp.net