[compiz] window decorations explained and how to move forward

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Apr 3 10:16:54 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 18:42 +0200, Mirco Müller wrote:
> Am Montag, den 03.04.2006, 13:29 +0200 schrieb David Reveman:
>
> > > Sure, it's pretty, I was thinking of "better" in terms of new ideas. Do
> > > people have any mockups of decorations that'd be hard to implement
> > > without an SVG theme engine?
> >
> > We really want per-pixel alpha so that edges can be anti-aliased and
> > parts can be translucent.
>
> 	Speaking of SVG. What about slowly (or maybe faster :) moving from the
> dependency on libsvg/libsvg-cairo to librsvg? Ok, I know that e.g.
> OpenSuSE/SLES isn't coming with Gnome 2.14 yet and thus no librsvg
> 2.14.x, which offers nice SVG-rendering via cairo... but still I wanted
> this to be mentioned to everybody interested/involved in working on
> compiz.

Only thing that uses SVGs are some optional cube plugin code that I
don't care about much. I'll gladly switch that code to using librsvg
instead if someone got a patch.

> 	Afaik, libsvg and libsvg-cairo were initially done by Carl Worth during
> early development phase of the cairo API and now he wishes those libs to
> "die" :)
>
> 	Anybody with more insight into this issue to clarify the viability of
> migrating compiz from libsvg/libsvg-cairo to librsvg 2.14.x?
>
> 	At least for the g-w-d part I think we should consider this. The
> kde/qt-part is different I think, because - at least qt 4.x - has native
> SVG support in itself. Doing this would be a small step in leanifying
> the library-dependencies for compiz (on the gnome/gtk side).

g-w-d doesn't use SVGs yet but when it does, I definitely prefer that it
use librsvg.

so librsvg is the way to go, thanks for bringing it up.