[compiz] patch for colored drop-shadow

Quinn Storm livinglatexkali at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 12:01:59 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:16:22 +0200
David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 20:28 +0200, Mirco Müller wrote:
> > Greetings everybody!
> >
> > 	Here's a patch (against compiz from CVS-head about 30 min.
> > ago) that adds a shadow_color option to the parameters of the
> > decoration-plugin. I only needed to add a few lines to decoration.c
> > and gnome-window-decorator.c. The only thing missing is the
> > compiz.schema. I dare not touch that XML-file manually. So after
> > you applied the patch, recompiled compiz and restarted g-w-d and
> > compiz you'll have to fire up gconf-editor and add a
> > string-parameter with the name shadow_color yourself.
> >
> > 	You can use the normal HTML-like syntax for defining the
> > wanted color:
> >
> > 	#fff or #ffffff -> white
> > 	#f00 or #ff0000 -> red
> > 	#f73 or #ff7733 -> orange
>

> Patch looks OK, I'll add it if people think this functionality is
> useful. I don't want to add options just because we can.

Options are just that, options.  If you don't want to use them there's
no reason to, but they are there if you do.  If you are concerned with
the user's experience, they'll see everything through a UI anyway, and
if you want to hide options there, that's fine.

I don't see any reason -not- to add an option if it doesn't impact
things like speed, functionality, etc. in a negative way.

--Quinn