[compiz] slow tint when tinting the whole screen

Kalle Kärkkäinen kalle.karkkainen at intstream.fi
Mon Dec 4 02:10:15 PST 2006

Hi,

   I'm running ubuntu edgy with compiz, switched from gentoo to ubuntu
for faster updates (emerge is way slow with source builds..). So far, I
like it.

   but that is not the issue I'm addressing now. I've noted that with
both these machines, when I'm doing something that tints the whole
screen to gray (like trying to logout, or using some software that
prompts for sudo rights), it's really slow. Jagged. It seems that it's
not vertically synced or something.

   Other tints, like when some program has gone haywire and stopped
responding to the system, works well (gradually and smoothly turning to
gray). Even when maximized.

   I'm running a 1600x1200 screen with Nvidia 6600. I'd guess that this
hardware should be able to do this smoothly. Is this at all in the
compiz code, or is this done in some other place? (like gnome in my
case)

Thanks for any insight on the matter!

--
Kalle.