[compiz] reason for bad performance on i915 (AIGLX)

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Dec 11 16:26:43 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 11:20 +0100, gandalfn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	In my ubuntu packages, to compiz work properly on AiGLX and for
> performance issue i continue to apply two patchs of Kristian Høgsberg :
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/06-glfinish.patch
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx/compiz-patches/02-tfp-server-extension.patch

I've found the reason to why the glfinish patch made a difference (typo
in makeScreenCurrent). Let me know if compiz head doesn't fix this
problem.

btw, 06-glfinish.patch is bad because it calls glFinish after drawing a
frame, basically blocking compiz from doing any work until the server
and gfx hw is done with all rendering. The main loop in compiz calls
glFinish before drawing a new frame instead, this way we block only when
necessary.

tfp-server-extension patch doesn't make sense to me, it must be client
side libGL issues.