[compiz] Patchs criterias

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Jul 3 13:36:34 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 15:11 +0200, Thomas Liebetraut wrote:

> Wulf C. Krueger schrieb:
> > If I were you, I'd just branch "officially" and compete.
> >
> > Reading this mailing list, a few others, Gentoo & Ubuntu forums, etc.
> > it seems pretty clear to me which version the users prefer currently.
> > :-)
> Besides what Quinn already mentioned, a branch that could compete with
> upstream Xgl would need X developers that are as skilled as David
> Reveman and the other guys that work on Xgl. We currently are more
> focussing on improving Compiz.
> I'm also sure that David has his reasons for not accepting every patch.
> David is still the person who knows Compiz better than any person who
> has ever written a line of code for it, and he knows what will work,
> what will be stable and what will blend perfectly into the current
> codebase. I don't, if I speak for myself, and I doubt that many others
> do. I agree with you that currently the community-based versions
> (Quinn's and CoffeeBuzz's repos/overlays) are preferred, but that may
> change as soon as it turns out that Community-Compiz becomes unstable or
> turns out to be "spaghetti code" and not maintainable anymore.
>
> That's why I would appreciate informations about the patch standards,
> too, because it's somehow frustrating to know beforehand that the work
> you did during the last weeks will end up in the trash can and someone
> else rewrites your patch from scratch.
>
> As far as my work on g-w-d is concerned, it is almost a complete rewrite
> and I use the naming conventions that I'm used to and that seem sensible
> to me and no one can keep me from doing this.
>
> So long...
> Thomas

There are no patch standards. I wont ignore a patch because of coding
style, unless the patch changes a few lines and adds whitespace changes
to a 1000 lines.

A good start for getting a patch accepted is that you know what you are
doing. If I see that a patch includes a lot of changes that the author
clearly doesn't know what he/she is doing, it will be a lot easier for
me to ignore it.

If you want to make sure that you're not wasting your time, send a mail
to the list and explain what you plan on doing. I definitely don't want
people to be wasting their time so I'll respond to such a mail as
quickly as I can.