[compiz] Re: Water plugin don't run error message: GL_ARB_fragment_program is missing

DaX at gentoo 6uncesso at infinito.it
Thu Jul 13 03:56:28 PDT 2006

> Out of curiosity, what hardware/drivers do? (It also failed with my
> radeon(4) card.)

I have a geffo 4 ti 4200 AGP 4x OpenGL 1.3 hardaware support, GL_ARB_fragment must be an extension of OpenGL 2, also Windows nvidia driver lack of this extension. Looking at the source code written by David Reveman the GL_ARB_fragment_program it's used when loading the bump mapping effects. I've read in forums that some people after updating compiz noticed that the water plugin didn't work anymore and that this message compares, probably developers (David in primis) improved the plugin using this hardware ext instead of a software solution (remember the first water plugin was unstable and have a high cpu burst 60% of cpu resources), this is a my supposition maybe the great David can say us...
I want to make an question:
I'm an italian computer sience student i've worked with OpenGL, i'd like to help someone in developing a compiz plugin, but i think i don't have the necessary know how (don't know so much of OpenGL only the movement matrix rotation scale) where can i found the doc to study, where can i found any documentation to start and help someone to develop a plugin...
TQ