[compiz] Java and compiz

Dan Winship danw at novell.com
Wed Jun 7 09:22:25 PDT 2006

Kalle Kärkkäinen wrote:
>     There was nothing of this in the archives, so whats the plan?
> Anybody working on this already? Has there been some research on the
> matter? Do you already secretly know where the fault is?

Yes, the problem is that some of the java toolkit code assumes that all
windowmanagers reparent windows, and so if a wm is running, then the
toolkit waits for new windows to be reparented before it starts handling
certain events on them. Since compiz doesn't reparent windows, it ends
up waiting forever.

Sun already has a fix for the bug, but I don't know when it will ship.

For SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10, we're using the attached patch to
xgl to work around the problem. (It fakes out the test java uses to see
if a wm is running.) The patch could potentially cause problems with
other apps, though we aren't aware of any. You'll also want the latest
CVS compiz to fix some problems with window placement and other things
with java windows.

-- Dan