[compiz] Feature request: windows snapping

Colin Guthrie compiz at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jun 18 05:41:04 PDT 2006

Hi,

Quickest feature request -> implementation ever!! Already done (some
time ago)!

xivulon wrote:
> There is a feature of oroborus http://www.oroborus.org/ (also used in
> xfwm) which might be worth importing:  windows snapping.

As others have said this is an option already present. Seach the forums
over at http://compiz.net and look for a program called gset-compiz. It
acts as a frontend for the various settings and give you an idea of what
features compiz actually has! (it can sometime be hard to realise that a
particular option exists!).

Over there you can also find information on compiz-quinn which is an
unofficial version of compiz with many (potentially unstable) user
submitted patches/plugins. I use it as my primary WM and am very happy
with it.

> PS I see that the "On Top" window menu option is always disabled. Can
> I change that?

This requires a specially modified version of libwnck (part of Gnome).
You can find some patches on this list for version 2.14 (also to be
found on the forums over at compiz.net).

David, is there any idea as to when these patches will go upstream? I
see DanW has had some of his patches accepted already in the latest 2.15
version.

Col