[compiz] Patchs criterias

Guillaume Seguin ixcemix at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:24:52 PDT 2006

Greetings everyone!

During the 5 months since Compiz was released lots of work has been
done outside of the official team by the new Compiz community in order
to improve Compiz's features and usability. These unofficial
developers are mainly using the compiz.net boards, #xgl or #compiz-dev
IRC channels on Freenode to get in touch, discuss ideas, features,
patches and bugs... Most patches written by these developers get
committed to Quinn Storm's cvs, which is also sync'ed with the
official FreeDesktop cvs. Nevertheless, it seems that unfortunately
little of the very good work that is done actually gets into the
official project, which can make it difficult to continue to be
enthusiastic about developing for Compiz.

As a group we are wondering what the standards that any plugin or
patch must meet before it can be included in the main codebase are :
functions/constants/variables naming convention, coding style...
Moreover, if there is some reason that patches are not applied other
than their coding quality, is it possible to share it with the list so
that we all understand whether the work we are doing can be included,
and if so, how we must go about getting it in.

Finally, we were wondering if it'd be possible to discuss with you a
bit more of what we're doing, what you are doing, and what we should
do to help - we could do this here on that list or during an IRC
session... We were also thinking of having bug smashing parties in
order to fix every bug anyone can face before getting further in
Compiz development, do you have any opinions on this idea?

Thanks!

Guillaume Seguin