[compiz] General compiz questions

Wulf C. Krueger wk at mailstation.de
Sat May 20 12:15:33 PDT 2006

I've been using compiz on KDE for a while now and I like the eye
candy. Thanks to all who made this possible. I'm usually a no-nonsense
guy who doesn't care about eye candy (I'm not even using a background
picture because I'm worried about the memory it'll use (on a machine
with 2 GB of RAM) :) ) but compiz stormed (sic!) my defences.

Now for my questions:

1. compiz is a composite *and* a window manager.

>From that perspective I'd like to ask why compiz has to be yet another
WM. There are lots of good, mature WMs out there and there are some more
or less powerful composite managers (CM) as well.

I would feel more comfortable, if I could use both a WM and a CM of my
choice.

So basically my question is: What parts (plugins) of compiz are part of
the WM and which are "just" the CM? Which of the compiz features,
i. e. the cube and its rotation, could be handled separately in a CM
instead of a combined WM/CM?

Are there maybe plans to separate both? In the long run, my wish for a
less monolithic solution[1] will probably make me abandon compiz.

2. Furthermore, what's planned for the k-w-d? Its source has been dormant
for quite a while now and I can find nothing on the net about the reason
or future plans. Any news here?

3. For now I have to have lots of Gnome stuff installed to use
compiz[2]. Are there any plans to move away from this wedlock?

4. Is there a roadmap for compiz? In what direction will compiz be
going? What are the features yet to come or is it feature-complete?

5. There has been some discussion about configuration and how much of it
should be exposed to the users. My personal opinion is that everything
that makes even remotely sense should be user configurable. Yes, that
means more code to maintain. Yes, it's worth it. Just my two cents.

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, compiz is pluggable but the integration of both WM and CM
qualifies as being monolithic, IMHO.

[2]  I know there are some third-party tools for configuring compiz and
I've tried them and none really appealed to me.

--
Grüße, Wulf