[compiz] bug in today's git snapshot with maximizing windows

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Nov 8 14:16:00 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 14:36 -0700, Mike Cook wrote:
> On Nov 08, 2006 at 1:20 PM, Shawn Starr wrote:
> > When maximizing windows on a different resolution only 70% of the window
> > is maximized.
> >
> > Ie: on my 1280x1024 screen a window maximized is correct (and does not
> > clobber the desktop panel in KDE, kicker)
> >
> > On my 1600x1200 screen, with no kicker panel, the window is maximized
> > about 70% of the screen only
>
> I think that's the same issue I'm experiencing, though I'm pretty sure it's not
> new to today's build but since the maximize changes from about a week ago.
> In my case the problem is the panel and the fact that there's a single
> workarea for the whole screen (see my "Set workarea per output" comment
> from yesterday).  The panels are basically subtracted from the workarea so
> that windows won't overlap, but it doesn't properly handle where those
> panels are only on one of multiple monitors.

Exactly.

> Per David's response to my comment, I'm willing to try hacking up a patch
> for the workarea-per-output idea.  Then updates in window.c and maybe
> the place plugin could use that and we'd get more proper placement and
> window maximizing per output.  However, I've noticed some discussions on
> the _NET_WORKAREA and multiple heads and it sounds like there needs to
> be changes eventually to the spec to better handle these multiple output
> cases.  But in the meantime, I think we can make it work mostly right.  ;)

Great, I look forward to seeing patches for this. Please keep the
per-output workarea addition and the updates to window.c and eventually
updates to some of the plugins in separate patches. I think at least
place, move and wobbly plugins will need updates but just getting the
per-output workarea into head will be a good start.

_NET_WORKAREA is a rectangle but our internal representation in compiz
will be a set of rectangles. We should try to get the EWMH spec updated
sometime soon as being able to communicate a non-rectangular workarea to
apps and toolkits is important for the dynamic multi-head support that
compiz will be able to do.