[compiz] Gnome switcher and gnome windows list

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Sun Nov 12 10:00:28 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 12:17 +0100, Alberto Casetta wrote:
> Hello,
> am I the only one experiencing some bugs with the latest git checkout
> in the gnome switcher and gnome window list ?
>
> When I click on one of the workspaces on gnome's switcher the cube
> doesn't rotate, but the windows disappear. I don't know how to
> describe it well, but it seems like the 4 faces of the cube in compiz
> and my 4 workspaces on gnome-switcher are now totally unrelated with
> each other, so i end up having 16 different views (I've just checked
> they work as expected on 0.3.2). Moreover, if I have 2 windows on 2
> different faces of the cube, they appear on the gnome window list as
> if they were on the same face.

compiz now supports both multiple workspaces and the large desktop
feature. The cube is using the large desktop feature and has nothing to
do with multiple workspaces. The gnome workspace switcher is showing
viewports of the large desktop if the number of workspaces are one. If
there's more than one workspace, it will show the workspaces instead.
Just remove all additional workspaces so that you just have one and it
will behave as before.

There's not yet any plugins that animate workspace switching so windows
fading in and out is all you get right now, if you prefer to use
multiple workspaces instead of the large desktop feature.

The cube can't be implemented properly using multiple workspaces which
is why I added large desktop support before multiple workspaces.

If you're confused about any of this I recommend that you read the EWMH
spec, which explains this pretty well.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/wm-spec