[compiz] free from GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 17:22:45 PST 2006

You might have hear this before. I just came across it today.

from http://blog.beryl-project.org/

"I am running your svn and have noticed this non-tfp Beryl, what is this?

It is exactly what it sounds like, an early attempt (with some success I
might add) to make Beryl run without the need for texture_from_pixmap.
No more black window bug from nvidia, no more Xgl, no more AIGLX. Oh
yeah… and its faster than Xgl/AIGLX (nvidia beta performance looks to be
about the same). The code is all thanks to Onestone who is a true bling
hero, and the idea itself originates from the Project Looking Glass
people. Kudos to them and their great work, we hope to incorporate more
of their experience to Beryl’s code base in the form of optimizations
and improvements."

it seems to be still in it's infancy though. Even if it's not as
good/fast as the GLX extension, it's still nice to have an alternative
path in case the extension is not available.

-Ioannis