[compiz] Compiz and list options

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 10:58:26 PST 2006

Bellegarde Cedric wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Currently, in plugins like "state", when having list options, you have to
> parse all windows on the screen and update their properties... I find this so
> ugly.
>
> In fact, pluginSetScreenOption() give a pointer on the first element of the
> list (CompOptionValue). You don't know what list element has changed !
>
> I think it should be prettier to give a pointer on the first element of the
> list at plugin initialisation but give a pointer on the "just changed"
> element of the list in case of modification.

Hi,

Having a pointer passed to just the list items that changed
could be very problematic because there are a lot of operations
that a user can do on a list.  eg.  they can, remove item(s), reorder
item(s) and add item(s), including multiple combinations of each.
If each action would happen individually then it would be OK
but we are only notified on the entire change (rightly so - if
you are reordering the list of plugins then you do
not want it reloading every time you move a plugin up).

I am going to look at some of the state code to see what can be
added to the core to make things easier for state and to allow
other plugins to access these settings.

I would welcome any input you have on a CompOptionWindowFilter
type which could parse window specific settings like these.  I would
like to use the state code but maybe enhance it to make it extensible
and useful for other plugins.