[compiz] Tried out Beryl (Animation pugin)

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Oct 3 18:55:57 PDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Shawn Starr <shawn.starr at rogers.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 9:08 pm, Marco Cabizza wrote:

> > > And a registry editor is better?
> >
> >       Yes, if we're talking about gconf. To integrate nicely with GNOME you
> > would need to fetch information through gconf anyway, sooner or later.
> > GTK+ gui ( which is a nice thing ) or not I see no reason not to use
> > gconf as a backend.
>
> > Ciao
> > ~marco
>
> Fair, but you assume people use GNOME which needs gconf. That imho should be
> decoupled from compiz. As a separate package (David mentioned this already).
> As a KDE user, I should not need it, unless compiz is gnome specific only. In
> which case, Beryl makes things DE independant (aside from beryl using GTK+
> widgets but everyone has GTK anyway thse days.

There is no need to decouple the gconf plugin, stop this nonsense
talk.  If you compile from source, you have the option to not enable
it, you have the option to not load it, and you can write your own
config plugin independently of compiz if you so desire.  How it is
packaged is a packager decision, and the fact that compiz in e.g.
fedora depends on gconf is a decision we've taken in the fedora
packaging.  Wether or not the gconf plugin is a part of the compiz
repository doesn't change this decision either way.  Upstream compiz
is desktop independent, don't spread misinformation like this.

Kristian