[compiz] Xgl/Compiz - Kernel, ATI, Console, and Multihead problems still unresolved

Mick Semb Wever mick at wever.org
Tue Oct 3 23:55:10 PDT 2006

I've been avidly updating mesa, xgl, and compiz, every week (from the
portage-xgl overlay) hoping to solve some of these problems:

* Using ati-drivers-8.29.6 xgl crashes complaining about lacking dri, so
i'm using 8.27.10.
* Using 2.6.18 kernels, the ati-drivers-8.27.10 don't compile when
building the drm module.
* My laptop automatically switchs to vt1 when init services fail (changing
power levels changes runlevels and some services may fail), switching
manually back to vt7 always leaves a black screen. I must kill xgl and all
applications i had running :'(
* ATI's BigDesktop is still not working. It works at the gdm level, but as
soon as compiz kicks in it all crashes.

Does anyone have things i can try, or report better, than just sitting
around waiting for the next release in hope...

They currently stand at:

ati-drivers-8.27.10
media-libs/mesa-6.5.1-r1
x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_pre20060928
x11-wm/compiz-0.0.13_pre20060928

/mck

--
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance
like nobody's watching." Satchmo Paige