[compiz] Re: [Fwd: Re: compiz coding style]

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 12:04:30 PDT 2006

> Just a quick note, this does not sound to be the right place for Beryl
> critics, it's the compiz mailing list. What you're doing here is
> somehow useless, it's just bad propaganda against Beryl. We're really
> open to any critic/discussion, but not here ;)

What I would really like to do is have compiz and beryl plugins to be
compatable and to bring some useful patches from beryl.  In order to
do this I would like to get to the bottom of each of the changes and
to work out why changes to the core were made if there is a genuine
lack in the core then we can discuss how to move forward for everyones
benefit.  There is clearly demand from the 'community' for this.

Plugin writers are going to have a harder time in the future to make their
plugins compatible with each fork.  I do not mind this if there is a real
benefit for one or the other, but as far as I can see all of the changes
that need to be made are just cosmetic but highly annoying.

Sorry for ranting but the changes to the plugin communication system
really got to me.  The same thing was discussed here on the list and a
simple solution was provided so that animation could work with compiz
without modifications.

Then less than a day later,  beryl gets its own plugin communication.  No
discussion on anything other than IRC.  Now converting plugins goes from
a 5 line patch to having to write a compatibility layer, or partial
rewriting.

I have been told on your forums that my opinions are not valid or wanted.
I protested about the csm breakage, I was ignored.  I was told that I should
be quiet and that the community has spoken.  I was then told that I should
try to manage a project 'of this size'.  That is what I am doing, I am
attempting to work out why things were changed so I can work a solution
for everyone and get fixes and enhancements backported.  So far nobody
other than Erkin have been cooperating.

I am currently trying to work out why blurfx and emerald are not
compatible with compiz.  If you guys would like to help then I am asking
for some information on what was changed and for what reason.
Otherwise I will try to work through it.

Anyway, I will stop ranting, but I will be asking questions to get to the
bottom of everything.  This list is the best place because things are
recorded and open to everyone.