[compiz] Compiling Compiz

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 06:22:42 PDT 2006

Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Oct 20, 06 13:05:54 +0100, Mike Dransfield wrote:
>
>> All of the plugins on this page work with compiz, the exception is neg
>> which requires a patch to the core.  They all work with hardly any
>> modification, just some annoying differences.
>>
>> To compile them just download, unpack and type make install as your
>> normal user.
>>
>> http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/
>>

> That's great.
> I'll add a package compiz-extra for these plugins.
>
> I assume the animation patches are needed for compiz 0.2.0 as well?

Compiz 0.2.0 covers a lot of different versions, any checkout from git after
13/10 will be OK with animation.  I think we need to work out a common
versioning scheme for these, maybe something like 0.2.0.20061020
where the last date is the git checkout date.

Eventually the releases should be updated more often and stable releases
made.  You are probably OK to take a git checkout from today since its
as stable as it has always been.  The correct version by now should really
be something like 0.2.5 since there are have been a lot of changes since
the original 0.2.0 release.  These numbers are probably up to David to
change so for now I would probably use the date it was checked out
from git as the version.  All of the packagers should try to work together
so that the versions are the same across distros, this will make support
much easier.

I am personally using a git checkout from a few weeks ago and it is fine
There is no reason why those plugins shouldn't compile with todays
checkout.  If you have any problems please let me know.

If there are any other plugins people would like to see, please let me
know. I have only converted the main ones but I realize there are others.
Blur FX is a problem because it relies on changes made to emerald but
everything else should be OK.

If anyone makes packages, could you please add them to the Wiki
along with some basic instructions on how to install.  This will make it
easier for any new users and keep everything in one place.