[compiz] Fullscreen windows(videos) and Compiz

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Apr 10 13:57:11 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 21:51 +0200, Danny Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I worte in my last mail that when I ue compiz git fullscreen videos
> > > are no longer ontop of the gnome-panel...
> > > that means that the gnome-panel is still visible while playing the
> > > video in fullscreen. The commit which I said may caused it has nothing
> > > to do with it compiz does not build if I revert it).
> > > again with older compiz and metacity it works fine. (now I am running
> > > 20070316). Anyone else wiith this problem? Any ideas what broke it?
> >
> > My guess is my own commit because it touched that kind of stuff:
> > http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/app/compiz.git;a=commit;h=cb9a43e705c15a04ca23f58ac950128e66c1ac2e
> > Can you please test if that one is the breaking one? If yes, I'll have a
> > look into this.
>
> Well, I shouldn't send my emails that fast ;-)
> In fact, I'm pretty sure the commit mentioned above introduced that
> behaviour.
> Before, we always raised a window on every window state change (such as
> enabling fullscreen mode).
> Now, we don't raise windows on state changes.
>
> However, I'm not completely sure how to define what the correct
> behaviour here is. Should we raise windows on all state changes, on
> certain state changes or on no state changes? Opinions anyone?
>
> Metacity raises on maximization and fullscreen changes, I guess that's
> why this is expected behaviour at least for former Metacity users ;-)

We should at least do what my attached patch is doing. As if above,
below or fullscreen state changed the window might have an invalid
stacking position.

I'm not sure about raising windows when maximized but as we've been
doing that before, we should keep doing it unless we have a good reason
not to.

- David