[compiz] Multiscreen patches

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Apr 17 17:19:06 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 19:59 +0200, Kristian Lyngstøl wrote:
> 0001-Do-not-use-shareList-for-multiple-screens.txt
> This is essential to get compiz to control multiple screens. I assume
> there's a better way though. We can either remove the shareList
> support entirely or we should check if it's supported or not.
> Improvements on this patch might be a good idea. In Beryl we chose to
> leave this as an option, but that doesn't strike me as the best
> approach either. Is sharing display lists across screens meant to be
> possible? (If not, we don't need the code that allows it).

I think that sharing textures and display lists between contexts on
different screens only work with xgl. I'm not sure what the GLX spec
says about this but it doesn't matter, lets do what's working with most
existing servers as basic multi-screen support is all I think makes
sense to support in compiz.

Please remove the shareList stuff completely.

> 0002-Change-warpPointer-to-take-a-CompScreen-as-argument.txt
> Without this, the pointer will warp to the same screen regardless of
> where it was (whichever happens to be d->screens). Plugins not in the
> compiz repo will have to adjust.

I've applied this one.

> 0003-Use-makeScreenCurrent-is-run-before-dealing-with-textures.txt
> This makes sure we're working on the correct context before we try to
> modify textures. Without it, textures will get corrupted. Fast.

This is a requirement when changing the shareList code. Hence, it makes
sense to make this part of the Do-not-use-shareList patch. Please make
all calls to makeScreenCurrent function like like this
"makeScreenCurrent (screen);" instead of "makeScreenCurrent(screen);" to
be consistent with the current coding style.

> This should get things started, and get compiz in a state where
> multiscreen is usable. I've got a few other patches lined up (well,
> more or less) when you're ready to accept these (or if you want me to
> improve anything).

OK, thanks.

- David