[compiz] Re: --skip-gl-yield

Kristian Lyngstøl kristian at beryl-project.org
Fri Apr 20 09:21:09 PDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Kristian Lyngstøl wrote:
> > I think it's appropriate to extend the existing manager-program(s) so
> > they also do the system checks Beryl currently does in core. This will
> > keep compiz-core clean, and present users with a single tool to start
> > things up, without having to know what options to use.
> >
> > It's a fact that the system checks in beryl, combined with the
> > integrated settings, makes starting it up beryl a lot easier than
> > compiz. However, I agree that these things shouldn't have to be in
> > compiz, but there's no reason not to have them in an other application
> > all together.
>
> I'll be honest and say that I don't like beryl-manager. I never use it.
> I've made sure my distro is capable of loading the user's window manager
> of choice correctly without the need for the manager.
>
> To me starting kwin or metacity etc. and then killing them and replacing
> them with compiz/beryl just seems a little hacky.
>
> In Mandriva we've made sure that our X startup process can check system
> and or user preferences as to what Window manager etc. they want.
>
> Now I concede that hacks such as __GL_YEILD  and the --use-copy etc. are
> not handled here (they can be configured manually however), so some sort
> of auto-selection stuff is handy. However, I would have thought that
> these should go in wrapper scripts rather than a compiled GUI
> application as they could then be used in more places - e.g. in X
> startup scripts.

Sure, I was thinking of makeing this simple and generic. I don't
really think wether it is compiled or not matters all that much,
though.

How about I make sure that the application can be used to test
specific cases manually? Say: 'compiz-manager' does all the tests and
starts compiz, but 'compiz-manager --test glyield --no-start' just
checks wether __GL_YIELD="NOTHING" should be set or not? That way, you
could use it fairly easy from other places too. Or "compiz-manager
--get-arguments --no-start" to return a list of all arguments
compiz-manager suggest you pass to compiz?

Just a few random ideas on how to achieve what everyone wants. What's
important to me, is that it's easy to start "the whole package" for
regular users, regardless of how they installed.

--
Regards,
Kristian