[compiz] --skip-gl-yield

okasion okasion at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 15:32:53 PDT 2007

>>On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 11:25 +0100, Joel Calado wrote:
>> Beryl has a --skip-gl-yield ( I think now managed by --force-nvidia,
>> dont really know though), that eases the use of beryl under heavy CPU
>> load.
>>
>> Is this implemented in compiz? Cause compiz is _REALLY_ slow under
>> heavy cpu use for me.

>That's a driver specific trick that doesn't belong in compiz. Setting
>__GL_YIELD manually as some people have already suggested >should do the
>same thing and you're of course free to patch compiz so it does >this
>automatically if you find that useful but a patch like that is likely
>never going to be accepted upstream.
>
>- David

I'd like to add that before Compiz 0.3.6, the __GL_YIELD fix worked without
problems for most people, but after this version, the fix didnt work anymore
using --indirect-rendering, which is a need for some people like me, that
gets better performance results without using direct rendering.
This has already been discussed many times, but we are still affected by
this problem.