[compiz] Re: Plugin Interface for Decoations

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 08:24:18 PDT 2007

I realized some major problems with this approach. To give you a
better idea of what I'm actually talking about, take a look at this
schema:
http://media.beryl-project.org/Decoration-Schema.png

As you can see KWD, GWD and Emerald would run in the same
applications, as plugins.
This might cause problems because the main loops of Qt and Gtk are
conflicting here, which was actually one of the reasons why the
decorator was not a own plugin in compiz.

Another problem is the settings backend. To integrate into the desktop
each plugin uses its own backend. For example the emerald plugin uses
ini/gkey files + libemeraldengine but GWD gconf + metacity functions.
So basically we would end up with a complete window decorator, ported
to a plugin, which is not really what I had in mind.

An alternative would be, remaining the current structure of having
several decorator running as an own application and expand emerald to
an highly-customizeable and extentable decorator, which relies on
plugin architecture. The main goal of that decorator would be to
provide an independently theme and other rather experimental things
like animations.

This architecture is shown in this schema:
http://media.beryl-project.org/Decoration-Schema2.png

I'm not really sure which one would fit our needs best here (or if
there would be other solutions), so it would be the best if we could
discuss that here.

Regrads,
Patrick